2016年5月19日 星期四

to lay, turn on, Je voudrais mourir

Pyongyang’s hatred for Beijing is palpable — and the feeling is mutual.
There are several reasons why relations have deteriorated.
ON.FT.COM

"Bernard, will you ride into Santa Fe to-day and see the Archbishop
for me.  Ask him whether it will be quite convenient if I return to
occupy my study in his house for a short time.  Je voudrais mourir
� Santa Fe"

"I will go at once, Father.  But you should not be discouraged; one
does not die of a cold."

The old man smiled.  "I shall not die of a cold, my son.  I shall
die of having lived."


Je voudrais mourir  i want to die/ expire 


When the Cathedral bell tolled just after dark, the Mexican
population of Santa Fe fell upon their knees, and all American
Catholics as well.  Many others who did not kneel prayed in their
hearts.  Eusabio and the Tesuque boys went quietly away to tell
their people; and the next morning the old Archbishop lay before
the high altar in the church he had built.
--"Death Comes for the Archbishop" 

turn on 1

1Suddenly attack physically or verbally:he turned on her with cold savagery
2Have as the main topic or point of interest:for most businessmen, the central questions will turn on taxation



lay

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/ej/48337/meaning/m0u/lay/


12 …を埋葬する,葬る((away))

沒有留言: