2015年10月29日 星期四

sabotage ; There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays,


sabotage Line breaks: sabo|tage
Pronunciation: /ˈsabətɑːʒ/ 

Definition of sabotage in English:

verb

[WITH OBJECT]
Deliberately destroy, damage, or obstruct (something), especially for political or military advantage:power lines from South Africa were sabotaged by rebel forces

noun

[MASS NOUN]Back to top  
The action of sabotaging something:coordinated campaign of sabotage

Origin

Early 20th century: from French, from saboter 'kick with sabots, wilfully destroy' (see sabot).
sabotLine breaks: sabot
Pronunciation: /ˈsabəʊ/ 

Definition of sabot in English:

noun

Image of sabot
1A kind of simple shoe, shaped and hollowed out from a single block of wood, traditionally worn by French and Breton peasants.

2A device which ensures the correct positioning of a bullet or shell in the barrel of a gun, attached either to the projectile or inside the barrel and falling away as it leaves the muzzle.
------
It might help to have some of the context from the Kipling poem In the Neolithic Age:
I was singer to my clan in that dim, red Dawn of Man,
And I sang of all we fought and feared and felt.
...
But a rival, of Solutré [a neolithic site in France], told the tribe my style was outré
-- By a hammer, grooved of dolomite, he fell.
And I left my views on Art, barbed and tanged below the heart
Of a mammothistic etcher at Grenelle [a paleolithic site].
Then I stripped them, scalp from skull, and my hunting-dogs fed full,
And their teeth I threaded neatly on a thong;
And I wiped my mouth and said, "It is well that they are dead,
For I know my work is right and theirs was wrong."
But my Totem [animal sacred to the poet's tribe] saw the shame; from his ridgepole-shrine he came,
And he told me in a vision of the night: --
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays,
"And every single one of them is right!"
The poet ("singer" to his clan) takes a stone ax (dolomite hammer) to a rival who dares criticize his style, shoots another rival artist, a cave painter, with an arrow ("barbed and tanged"), and goes on a general rampage against artists who disagree with him. Eventually his tribal totem tells the poet in a vision that there are any number of right ways to construct the tribal narratives (i.e., the tribal lays).
A bit late for the Stone Age artistic community that the narrator has laid waste to.

lay 3 Line breaks: lay

noun

1A short lyric or narrative poem meant to be sung:a minstrel recited a series of lays
1.1literary A song:on his lips there died the cheery lay

沒有留言: