2020年3月3日 星期二

privation, remonstrate, at hand, obliterate, privative


Willa Cather introduced a new way of seeing, placing us in landscapes of “obliterating strangeness,” of saturating color and light—the Nebraska plains.




Asked for his occupation in a court of law, Frank Lloyd Wright (1867–1959) replied ‘The world’s greatest architect’. His wife remonstrated with him. ‘I had no choice, Olgivanna’, he told her, ‘I was under oath.’
Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity is a greater. Possession pampers the mind; privation trains and strengthens it.
William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Android Obliterates Smartphone Market

He was about to say other words: he checked them. "I believe I do not know myself. Anything you will, only give me your hand; give it; trust to me; you shall direct me. If I have faults, help me to obliterate them."
"Will you not expect me to regard them as the virtues of meaner men?"
"You will be my wife!"
Laetitia broke from him, crying: "Your wife, your critic! Oh, I cannot think it possible. Send for the ladies. Let them hear me."
"They are at hand," said Willoughby, opening the door.
They were in one of the upper rooms anxiously on the watch.
"Dear ladies," Laetitia said to them, as they entered. "I am going to wound you, and I grieve to do it: but rather now than later, if I am to be your housemate. He asks me for a hand that cannot carry a heart, because mine is dead. I repeat it. I used to think the heart a woman's marriage portion for her husband. I see now that she may consent, and he accept her, without one. But it is right that you should know what I am when I consent. I was once a foolish, romantic girl; now I am a sickly woman, all illusions vanished. Privation has made me what an abounding fortune usually makes of others—I am an Egoist. I am not deceiving you. That is my real character. My girl's view of him has entirely changed; and I am almost indifferent to the change. I can endeavour to respect him, I cannot venerate."
"Dear child!" the ladies gently remonstrated.




obliterate

Pronunciation: /əˈblɪtəreɪt/
Translate obliterate | into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
verb
[with object]
  • destroy utterly; wipe out:the memory was so painful that he obliterated it from his mind
  • make invisible or indistinct; conceal or cover:clouds were darkening, obliterating the sun
  • cancel (something, especially a postage stamp) to prevent further use: the special stamp should be placed on the left-hand side and not be used to obliterate the postage stamp
Derivatives
obliterative

Pronunciation: /-rətɪv/
adjective
obliterator
noun

Origin:

mid 16th century: from Latin obliterat- 'struck out, erased', from the verb obliterare, based on littera 'letter, something written'

缺負未 足



privative

Line breaks: priv|ative
Pronunciation: /ˈprɪvətɪv ADJECTIVE[形]
1 奪取する,剥奪(はくだつ)する.
2 (ある性質が)欠如している,欠乏[喪失]の;文法欠性の.
━━[名]文法欠性辞,欠性語:ある性質の欠如を意味する接辞または語;un-やneverなど.
priv・a・tive・ly
[副] 
  • 1(Of an action or state) marked by the absence or loss of some quality or attribute that is normally present.
  • 1.1(Of a statement or term) denoting the absence or loss of an attribute or quality:parliament may insert a privative clause to achieve this result
  • 1.2Grammar (Of a particle or affix) expressing absence or negation, for example the Greek a-, meaning ‘not’, in atypical.

Origin

late 16th century: from Latin privativus 'denoting privation', from privat- 'deprived' (see privation).


NOUN

[MASS NOUN]
1A state in which food and other essentials for well-being are lacking:years of rationing and privation[COUNT NOUN]: the privations of life at the front
2formal The loss or absence of a quality or attributethat is normally present:cold is the privation of heat

Origin

Middle English: from Latin privatio(n-), from privat-'deprived', from the verb privare (see private).

at hand
1. Also, close or near at hand. Within easy reach, nearby, as in I like to keep my tools close at hand. [1300s]
2. Also, on hand. Nearby in time, soon, as in The day of judgment is at hand, or A change of administration is on hand. Also see on hand.

remonstrate
v., -strat·ed, -strat·ing, -strates. v.tr.
To say or plead in protest, objection, or reproof.

v.intr.
To reason or plead in protest; present an objection. See synonyms at object.

[Medieval Latin remōnstrāre, remōnstrāt-, to demonstrate : Latin re-, re- + Latin mōnstrāre, to show (from mōnstrum, portent; see monster).]
remonstration re'mon·stra'tion ('mŏn-strā'shən, rĕm'ən-) n.
remonstrative re·mon'stra·tive (rĭ-mŏn'strə-tĭv) adj.
remonstratively re·mon'stra·tive·ly adv.
remonstrator re·mon'stra'tor n.

1 則留言:

人事物 提到...

remonstrate (ri-MON-strayt, REM-uhn-)

verb intr.: To reason or plead in protest.

Etymology
From Latin remonstrare (to exhibit, demonstrate), from re- + monstrare (to show). Ultimately from the Indo-European root men- (to think), which is the source of mind, mnemonic, mosaic, music, mentor, money, mandarin, and mantra. Earliest documented use: 1601.

Usage
"Ricky Ponting felt the need to remonstrate with the vigour of an innocent man sentenced to the electric chair." — Andrew Webster; Captain on His Knees as Tourists Gloat; The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, Australia); Dec 28, 2010.